[geeks] I need a "bad network"

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Thu Jun 10 13:40:14 CDT 2004

I have a need for a configurable and repeatable "bad network" for some
testing.  I would need it to do things like "drop every nth packet" or
"randomly drop n% of packets" or even "look for x then drop n packets",
that sort of thing.  I can imagine how to build such a beast, perhaps by
using a Linux or BSD box and constantly mucking with the
ipchains/iptables/netfilter rules, but I'm assuming someone somewhere
already sells (or has written) such a beast.

The problem is, I'm not even sure what this thing would be called.
Maybe a "Network Simulator"?

Any ideas?

--
David L. Kindred