[geeks] Re: Star Trek

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jun 8 18:48:51 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:19:09AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Tue, 08 Jun 2004 @ 02:05 -0400, Andrew Weiss said:
>
> > No the UFP from ST TOS-VI with a little more Klingon peace.  I don't
> > really follow DS9 or Voyager... I consider them somewhat Trek poseur.
> > TNG is OK... but starts to lean in that direction as well.
> >
> > IF there weren't so many temporal story-lines in Enterprise... I'd
> > enjoy it a lot.
>
> That and the stupid holodeck that doesn't fit with the tech or the
> story, Q, and the continously nauseating political correctness.

The problem with ST:TNG in particular is that almost every episode
contains a "And then [insert deus ex machina] happens", and then after
the episode ends they press the Universal Reset Button and all the stuff
that was specific to that episode is *never ever mentioned again*, as
though from the viewpoint of almost any episode, [any arbitrary other
episode] never happened.  There are exceptions to this, but that's the
general trend.

One of the things that made DS9 a bit better and more interesting than
TNG was that it had some kind of sense of continuity (even if Paramount
did, eventually, admit to stealing the idea from an early draft of the
Babylon 5 pilot, after JMS tried to sell Babylon 5 to Paramount and
Paramount told him it wasn't interested in any space show that wasn't
Star Trek).

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net