[geeks] New Server Pictures

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Tue Jun 8 14:44:32 CDT 2004

There would definitely still be server grade and consumer grade,
but the lines would be further greyed and that would complicate
things IMHO.  Much to my dismay, this is happening currently.  It
used to be that almost all SCSI drives came with with a decent
sized cache and at least three year warranties.  These days, the
caches (which, in all fairness, are now available on IDE and
SATA as well) are decent sized only on the "luxury" models :)
Same with warranties.

/KRM

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:39:31 -0600 (MDT)
Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Kevin wrote:
> > workstation class hardware.  If SCSI had been the taken
> > the same "commodity" path as that of IDE, i believe that
> > while we would have better hardware for other reasons, i also
> > believe that the reliability of SCSI that hardware might be
> > significantly less so than it is today.  And even though i am
> > about to test out some SATA equipment, the aforementioned
> > reason (and others) still puts it in the same class as IDE
> > for me.
>
> I think we'd still have server grade and consumer grade drives,
> but the huge demand in home markets would have kept the prices
> down and the effort that went into bringing IDE up to snuff
> could have been spent making SCSI better sooner.
>
> -DanD
>
> --
> #  Dan Duncan (kd4igw)  dand at pcisys.net
> http://pcisys.net/~dand
> # "If 'everybody knows' such-and-such, then it ain't so, by at
> least ten#  thousand to one."  -Lazarus Long
> #

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/