[geeks] RIP, Ronald Reagan

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Mon Jun 7 19:01:03 CDT 2004

Jim wrote:

> Problem with these point the finger on either side things, is I can't
> believe any one. Everyone on all sides are just throwing their agenda
> in your face. If not distorting the facts, at least just giving you the
> ones that support their point of view. Couple that with the fact that
> people only want to read items that support the way they already feel
> (How many Rush listeners will go out and read Franken's book with a
> open mind? How many Moore fans will listen to Hannidy and really
> consider what he says?), it gets too damn annoying. People have their
> minds made up and only want information that supports that.
>
> Considered dialog does not get ratings, instead two angry talking heads
> are what people will tune in. People watch/listen/read to that crap
> long enough and they begin to parrot it. Look at how many posts to this
> list so far match up with talking points from either side. I could turn
> on AM radio any day of the week and hear the exact same points brought
> up.

Deborah Tannen analyzes this phenomenon of America socient in
_The Argument Culture_--we are divisive, polemic, and unable to
come to compromise on our large issues because we, as a culture,
take more stock in arguing than in figuring a way to compromise,
or coming to understand the underlying basis for our differences
of opinion.

=Nadine=