[geeks] FS: Behringer V-Amp 2 guitar amp/effects system

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Jun 7 18:18:13 CDT 2004

> I'm afraid I've never been impressed with Sony digital cameras,
> particularly the Mavicas. This idea of Sony's of writing directly to
> first a floppy disk, now a CD-R, makes for very big, bulky, awkward
> cameras. Plus they tend to provide only an LCD-panel viewfinder instead
> of a proper eye-level viewfinder, so *then* you've got a big, bulky,
> heavy camera that you have to hold a foot away to be able to see the
> viewfinder, so you can't lock your elbows....

The one I have has a "viewfinder" but it is just a screen.  It does
allow you to hold the camera li.ke an SLR.  I don't mind the "bulky"
camera.....I've got big bulky hands!  Remember the Will Smith line
from the first MIB when he gets a "gun" ;->

> (A lot of their early digital cameras had interlaced camcorder CCDs,
> too, which tended to produce photos that looked like shit. I don't
> know if they're still doing this. I hope not.)
>
> I have an Olympus D-500L right now, but I've been lusting after a Canon
> Powershot Pro90 IS.

That one is nice too.

> > The only
> > reson I went partially digital (still have the film unit) is that I have
> > greater control since I don't do darkroom anymore and other reasons:
> > "Dear, did you pick up that Fuji film for me?"
> > "No, I got the Polaroid instead...it was cheaper."
> > "(Grrrr.........)" And, of course, the pictures sucked.
>
> I went digital because:
> - I didn't have to carry film around,
> - I didn't have to worry about whether my film was too cold or too warm
> or too old or the wrong speed or the wrong color balance,
> - I didn't have to wait while I sent my film off for development in
> order to find out if the shot came out,
> - I didn't have to find a scanner after I got the prints back if there
> were any I wanted to use online,
> - I never had to go through the frustration of carefully setting up a
> difficult shot with an unconventional exposure, only to find that the
> automatic print exposure system on the photo lab's totally-automated
> processing machine screwed up the prints because it tried to print
> every frame as though they were family snapshots at Timmy's birthday
> party.

Those are valid points, but if you are a good photographer it's not
"I hope it comes out" but "It damn well better come out!" ;->
Scanners are a pain at times.  The photoshop automated machine can
be beaten two ways: on the instructions on the envelope just tell them
to turn the automatic adjustments off.  If they can't, find somewhere
else for developing you film or use a 18% gray card on the first frame.
An old trick but it still works.
If I want high resolution and damn good color, I still use film.  Quick
and dirty snapshots, digital.