[geeks] Rate These Racks...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jun 2 16:44:01 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:19:01PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on using either the 68"
> Storage Cabinet or the 72" Mass Storage Cabinet as server racks (i.e.
> assumed 19" std. racks, but can they take heavy equipment, etc.)?

I think the only difference between the Sun racks and "normal" racks is
depth.

As for "heavy equipment" - have you weighed a loaded E4K or A5000 drive
array lately? :)  E3Ks can weigh 200 lbs.  A5000s can weigh 100-150
easily.  I've seen 68" Mass Storage Cabinets with two Exx00 servers and
two A5Ks in them.

> Thanks in advance (the other question on my mind is if I can
>  do a local pick up to save $200 S/H charges ;^)

Most definitely.  My advice - call them up, tell them you saw the
racks on eBay - they may let you just make a direct purchase if they
have others they haven't listed yet, and they'll definitely let you
pick them up.

The current SunHELP server (being replaced in a couple of days, but only
due to rack space and power usage issues) is a loaded-to-the-gills E3K.

A most excellent machine.  AnySystem has a very good reputation with
myself and with listmembers in general.  John Butler and his folks are
Good People (tm).

Bill

--
bill bradford