[geeks] SCSI vs SATA

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Sat Jul 31 10:40:04 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 15:59, Bryan Fullerton wrote:
> I've seen a couple of lab benchmarks saying SATA is close to SCSI in
> terms of performance for many things, but does anyone have any
> real-world experience using SATA drives in servers yet?

I've got a server with 2 160GB SATA drives hanging off of a 3ware 64-bit
2-port sata raid card in a mirrored config, running linux 2.6.  Plenty
fast, hot swappable, and has been running for 6 months without a
problem.  I've been very happy with them.  Runs the standard stuff you
would expect from a linux server... mail, dns, web, mysql, oh, and heavy
disk i/o because it is the rsnapshot server for a few other machines,
syncs a couple gigs every 6 hours, nothing else seems to slow down
enough that I notice.

Caleb