[geeks] OpenBSD installer...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 30 19:13:44 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I just installed OpenBSD 3.5 on an Ultra 1/170, and it was like a time-warp!
What a retro installer - it feels like the old RH Linux installer, just a
series of questions without any meaningful help available. You really have to
know what you are doing...

For example, when it asks you to pick the software packages to install, it
displays a list, with about 40% pre-selected. You can choose "all" (I did),
and then it proceeds to "get" the packages from your selected source, and then
it asks you what packages you want to install, but this time, the previously
selected software is not pre-selected... WTF is that?

Anyway, once it was installed, I tried doing a "startx", but there was an
error. Checking the log, it seems it couldn't identify the framebuffer - WTF?
Its a TGX+ (CG6), what was it expecting to see in an SBUS SPARC? (Yes, the CG6
is on the compatible hardware list)

Argh.

Sorry, had to vent - anyone have some pointers on working with OpenBSD on an
UltraSPARC desktop? I'd like it to be a firewall appliance, but first I want
it to be a general desktop (to get used to it on the hardware)...

Thanks,

Lionel
lionel 4287 at verizon net