[geeks] Solaris 9 changes

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 29 12:36:32 CDT 2004

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 @ 14:46 -0400, velociraptor said:

> Dunno if they have managed to get LDAP in place or not at
> this point.

Is anyone out there using LDAP as global authentication?

It seems pretty simple to make it work, but only as a flat "all or
nothing" deal.

What I need is more granular control, where I can specify what a user
can access by machine, service, location, etc.  Probably machine and
service would be good enough.

Right now the shop I'm in has at least two NIS servers geographically
seperated, and any user account add/delete/modify involves ssh to one or
more hosts to update /etc/passwd, samba passowrds, and push NIS data.
It's far too manual a process.

I would like to make that a single authentication resource, but still
with the same access control.

Another requirement is customizations for each user, like mailing lists,
internal email lists, LDAP entries, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations for fairly flexible user account
management?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]