[geeks] adventures with electric utility companies

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Thu Jul 29 05:00:20 CDT 2004

On 29/07/2004, at 7:58 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> What does Austin Energy do?  They send out one of those "buckets on a
> crane" trucks, and use it to hold the pole upright while another truck
> digs a hole and erects another pole next to the old one.  When the
> concrete
> sets, they move most of the lines over to the new pole - but instead
> of moving
> the last set of lines over to the new pole, they leave them on the OLD
> pole,
> and just tack/brace the old pole to the new one with a 2x4 and some
> bolts.
>
> WHAT THE HELL?

maybe another utility company owns the other set of cables and they
have to move the cables themselves? dunno... I've seen stuff like that
happen here - mainly regarding cables being undergrounded, sometimes
the power co would leave strings of power poles in place because the
telco lines company (their lines run on the same poles) didnt want to
underground their lines at the same time as the power co ... the telco
would come along later/never and underground their lines separately,
digging new trenches etc... crazy but it happens.

Cheers, James

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of PGP.sig]