[geeks] Mini-ITX cases/systems/vendors

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Jul 28 14:34:10 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, July 28, 2004, at 01:33 PM, velociraptor wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:20:19 +0000, Lionel Peterson
> <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, you COULD wedge a Mini ITX motherboard into a luncbox case...
>
> It's a damn good thing Dave's still unsub'd or we'd have a flame-
> war started!  Blasphemer! ;-)

Allow me!

You evil sonofoab1tch!  What makes you think you can do that to a nice
working lunchbox Sparc!  They're damn useful - especially for DNS work!

BLARGH!!!

<tongue firmly in cheek>  ;-)

I still feel that unless the box is dead the shell shouldn't be used.
Unless you're modding the internals into something cool... :-)

> I think I'd just co-opt a SCSI disk case or something if I was
> building a fanless ITX box.  A hell of a lot cheaper than $147+
> shipping--I mean, it's just a metal box with cooling slots and
> drive rails, right?  You could cut out the back for whatever port
> access you need.  If you want to avoid the external power brick,
> they make AC->DC boards that plug into the ITX mobos.

Hmm...interesting idea.  Think it would fit into a Sun 411 box?  That
would be a good cluster configuration.

> The YDLinux boxes are about the size of an external CD/DVD
> case, so that would be another thing to consider.  I can't imagine
> that an ITX runs much hotter than a G3.

Still need some sort of cooling.  The smaller you make the components
in general the more fragile they are.  I'd at least dremel air slots in
the sides of the box.

Mike
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight