[geeks] Mini-ITX cases/systems/vendors

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 28 09:20:19 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/07/27 Tue PM 05:11:49 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] Mini-ITX cases/systems/vendors
>
> So, who do y'all recommend for Mini-ITX cases/systems and quick, reliable
> online vendors?
>
> I've currently got a P3-700 system (along with a couple other smimilar-speed
> boxes) doing nothing but network services and remote data backup here at the
> house.  Its a mini-tower case, and uses too much power and space, and puts
> out too much heat, for what I use it for.
>
> I'm considering replacing it with a mini-ITX box that I can put on a shelf.

Why not just buy a smaller PS? It will be much cheaper than building a new box...

Or is there some sort of reverse-machismo thing going on "Look how SMALL it is!"

<snip>

> Ideas for other similar small-form-factor systems greatly appreciated.  As
> much as I like Sun equipment, I'm staying away from the "lunchbox SPARCs"
> for this, though.

Well, you COULD wedge a Mini ITX motherboard into a luncbox case...

There are some *very small* POS systems - I saw one last night at the local Hooters (don't ask) - it was about 1U high, 8-9" wide,a nd about 12-13" deep (think ream of paper) - it even had an (assumed) PCI slot to add more serial ports (cash drawer, printer, touch screen are all serial)...

Now, to avoid the witty remarks - Yes, you could be a geek if you go to Hooters and stare at the POS terminals ;^)