[geeks] guitar / audio geek question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jul 26 08:59:26 CDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:40:50PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Got any pictures of it?

No.  I don't really have a good way to take pictures at the moment
either.

OK, take this picture ofr a good idea of what the guitar looks like:
http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/GuiS300AD.htm

But, combine it with the body color of this crappy picture:
http://members.safepages.com/genesis_art/S300.HTM

Unlike the second picture, but like the first picture, mine has a solid
bridge, not a tremelo unit.

I think they were made all over the world, but I was told by the dealer
that mine was US made.

Anyway, the volume knobs seem to be near useless, and they are too far
away from the strings to do me any good.  As it sits, I leave all for
knobs all the way up, and only use the two switches (there is a three
way pickup selector switch, and a phase reversal switch for the bridge
pickup.

> They're great.  Well, the Crate is just a generic bass amp, but the Marshall
> is awesome.  It gets more than plenty loud for what I need, and their
> "VDD" (tube "emulation") stuff on the low-end solid-state amps is amazing.

I haven't actually tried any small amps made in the last 5+ years, so
it's probably time to look again.

What I really want to do, but who knows when I'll get around to it, is
build a completely custom pre-amp/multi effects unit.  I want to have
two tube preamp channels, and pre and post preamp compression.  Then run
it into a AD chip and do the rest (flange, phase, tremelo, verbs,
delays, chorus, EQ, etc) digitally.  Wah, is to be left as a floor
pedel.  There will likely be no expression controller, except maybe a
volume pedel (though if I include that, I may come up with other reasons
to have an expression controller).

Maybe add a few mix in channels for a head phone amp, there will be both
balanced analog and digital outputs.

Rather than support a midi floor board, I intend to use a few SPST and
contact foot switches (contact switchs will be used for program up/down
and tap controller).  I also intend for several major controls to be
abailable

> "New" Vox, or old Vox?

I don't know, but I'd guess old Vox, since it's from the '60s.