[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

James Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Fri Jul 23 23:09:08 CDT 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:34 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:
>>> If a 64-bit PCI card won't work in a 32-bit PCI slot then there's
>>> something wrong with the card.
>>
>> Maybe I should have said "some will run well".
>>
>> I've had a few that were fussy, so I hesitate to say they will all
>> work.
>
> If I bought a 64-bit PCI card that didn't work in a 32-bit PCI slot I'd
> still not want to use it in a 64-bit PCI slot.  Either the card is
> failing
> and I wouldn't want further failure to cause me to lose data, or the
> card
> wasn't designed properly and I wouldn't want any other design problems
> cause me to lose data.

There is one case in which a 64bit PCI card should _not_ work in a
32bit slot: when the card is 3.3v PCI or PCI-X.  The Symbios 20320 and
21320 are such cards, while the 22320 is a universal card.

--
The only 2 tools you will ever need are WD-40 and duct tape. If it
moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it