[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Jul 23 14:58:07 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 14:41, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, mrl wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 02:21, Bjvrn Ramqvist wrote:
> >
> >> People here would probably go for the
> >> "striped-mirror" approach rather than the "mirrored-stripe" approach,
> >> since it's more tolerant to failures.
> >
> > How could that be?
>
> ..snip explanation of how it, in fact, *could* be :)..

Thanks for clearing that up... (And also thanks to the other people who
replied, whom I didn't quote... there were lots of you ;P).

> [0] That's assuming that the failed drive and its parter arne't both
>       subjected to exceptional stress.  If the two drives are sitting next
>       to each other[1], and the fan tray servicing both disks dies, you're
>       probably going to lose both disks.
> [1] Dumb!

So, if you don't keep your drives next to each other, where *do* you
keep them?
I'm in the middle of building a RAID setup, and I'm curious.
Also, I have a D1000, where all the drives are... right next to one
another. There are two fan trays, but they're on opposite sides of the
unit.