[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Jul 23 11:50:41 CDT 2004

" From: mrl <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
"
" On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 02:21, Bjvrn Ramqvist wrote:
"
" > People here would probably go for the
" > "striped-mirror" approach rather than the "mirrored-stripe" approach,
" > since it's more tolerant to failures.
"
" How could that be?
"
" 1 2    (assumes 2 mirrors or stripes, total of 4 disks in array)
"
" - -    This is a mirrored stripe.
" - -    Any one disk in a column can fail. Beyond that, you're toast.
"
" : :    This is a striped mirror.
"        Again, any one disk in a column can fail.
"
" (sorry if my ASCII "art" doesn't do it for you... it was half for my
" benefit, to make sure I was asking an intelligent question. :P)
"
" So how's it more tolerant to failures?

because if you stripe mirrors, any one failed mirror takes you down,
but you can lose an drive on each mirror and stay up.

for your setup of just 4 disks, it -is- moot.  but when you stripe
more than two mirrors...

i've heard that disksuite silently reorgs mirrored stripes into a
striped mirror.