[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Jul 23 10:49:27 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 02:21, Bjvrn Ramqvist wrote:

> People here would probably go for the
> "striped-mirror" approach rather than the "mirrored-stripe" approach,
> since it's more tolerant to failures.

How could that be?

1 2    (assumes 2 mirrors or stripes, total of 4 disks in array)

- -    This is a mirrored stripe.
- -    Any one disk in a column can fail. Beyond that, you're toast.

: :    This is a striped mirror.
       Again, any one disk in a column can fail.

(sorry if my ASCII "art" doesn't do it for you... it was half for my
benefit, to make sure I was asking an intelligent question. :P)

So how's it more tolerant to failures?