[geeks] recommended dual channel LVD controller, PC

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jul 21 04:24:04 CDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:10:13 -0400
Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> I've been looking for Symbios/LSI controllers because I've used them
> in the past and they seem pretty good, but mostly I just want a good
> one that is reliable and easy on the CPU (which means good drivers
> too).
[...]
> Cost is a factor, as this is 5 year old PC, and I don't want to put
> much money into it.
Scan ePay for a controller with one of the Symbios dual channel chips.
>From the NetBSD siop(4) man page:
           -   53c876 (Dual Ultra-Wide SCSI)
           -   53c896 (PCI 64bit, dual Ultra2-Wide SCSI)
           -   53c1010-33 (PCI 64bit, dual Ultra160 SCSI)
           -   53c1510d (PCI 64bit, dual Ultra2-wide SCSI)
Usually any 64 bit card should run in a 32 bit slot, but you will loose
bandwith if your drives are able to deliver an aggregate throughput of
more then 100 MB/s. (If an old PeeCee is able to handle that much I/O at
all.)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen