[geeks] Airport Express arrived yesterday!

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jul 19 05:41:02 CDT 2004

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I'm wondering about the idea of having two parallel wireless networks
> (different SSID/channel assignments) - the idea being the computers will pick
> the best network and use it... Like this:
>
> Network SSID "ABC" on channel 1
> Network SSID "XYZ" on channel 11

I have something close. I have two networks one on channel 4 one on channel
8 (I'm linited to channels 4-8). One is wep encrypted and is on my regular
network, the other is avalaible to anyone using PubilicIp (www.publicip.
(net or org)).

I was starting a business to build advertiser supported PublicIP networks,
and had come up with some patentable technology, but I had to shelve it
due to pressing needs from another buisness. :-(

In your case, you probably want the same SSID. Then a computer will pick
the strongest signal and connect to it. Most modern systems will automaticly
switch when the signal strength changes.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838