[geeks] Airport Express arrived yesterday!

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 17 14:12:15 CDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:40:32 +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> The one question I have is this (haven't tested yet): My home network
> has a DHCP server that gave the AirPort Express it's IP address - what
> happens when I remove power and move the unit - will my Apple laptops
> find the AirPort Express even if the IP address changes?

Assuming the Express works like other wireless APs I've seen, the IP
address it has is irrelevant to whether the laptops can connect ... it's
essentially a layer-2 bridge.

And unless you've got a severely hacked DHCP server, the IP address
handed out to the Express should be the same every time (assuming it's
on the same network segment). It's part of the DHCP specification that a
device should retain an IP address over lease renewal.

Some ISPs operate 'DHCP' servers out of spec to avoid customers thinking
they own a particular IP address. Strictly speaking these aren't DHCP
servers at all.