[geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jul 16 10:59:08 CDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:01:56AM -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> >Heres one thought though.  MythTV and FreeVo can probably be fairly
> >easily hacked to do HD-TV, but a TiVo or ReplayTV probably can't.
>
> Yup.  There's even an HDTV card with explicit Linux support:
>
> http://www.pchdtv.com/

OK, but do most people really live in areas where OTA HD is sufficient?
I look at the antennaweb site refered to by the above site to find that
most of the people broadcasting HD-TV here are people who I had trouble
recieving NTSC from using a roof top antenna.  I don't have confidence
that it will work out well this time around with HD-TV.

> Impossible to time shift HD content?  MythTV with the pcHDTV card can do
> it.  Maybe you mean this:
>
> http://wendy.seltzer.org/mythtv/

I was really refering to time shifting digital cable and satalite.

I am curious, but not quite curious enough to wade through the FCC
document, what form the broadcast flag will take.  It seems that it is
to be implemented in the ATSC stream.  I was under the impression that
current PC tuners didn't tend to understand the ATSC stream, instead
handing it straight up to the software.

> http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures
>
> * Rip, categorize, play, and visualize MP3/Ogg/FLAC/CD Audio files. (FLAC,
> Vorbis, and MP3 encoding). Create complex playlists (and playlists
> containing playlists) through a simple UI.
>
> * An emulator frontend. (MAME, NES, SNES, generic PC games)
>
> * A generic video player module, with automatic metadata lookups
>
> * A DVD player / ripper module. Make perfect backups, or transcode down
> to smaller file sizes.
>
> * An RSS news feed reader module.

Eh, their OK, but they just don't particularly excite me.