[geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 15 20:54:51 CDT 2004

> From: doctor obnox son of a bitch <drobnox at visi.com>
> Date: 2004/07/15 Thu PM 11:00:03 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)

>  Anyone here ever build your own TiVo-equivalent?

I thought about it, but if you want it *outside* the server room, you'll
probably want to buy a small-form case ($$), an appropriate video card ($$),
 and a big HD ($$), then spend hours working on getting everything just
right...

Or, wait for an opportunity to get a machine w/o required support contract (I
have a Replay 40 hour unit I bought for $150, an 80 hour Replay for $300
(each with 3 years included service), and a new 80 hour TiVo for $200 (with
lifetime 3-day program service))...

If have to buy all the components, I think a pre-built unit is your best
route... If you have nearly allthe pieces, you could save some money...