[geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue Jul 13 15:56:10 CDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> 1) The user intrface is odd, but I only have the included "basic"
>    service - I don't like monthly/lifetime fees ;^) - I assume
>    the "traditional" subscription service is much better. (I have
>    3 days of program guide available for recording)

Don't know the differences that basic leaves out from the normal
interface...

> 2) What is up with those "TiVo Suggestions"? I found several odd
>    programs recorded (3 stooges, Kim Possible, Charlies Angels:
>    Full Throttle, etc.) are any of them "funded" by third-parties?
>    (Could I pay TiVo to recommend a show be taped?)

TiVo's suggestions tend to be almost random until you've had it for
a while...  There is no advertiser influence in them, although they
do have an aggregate system that will look at things other TiVo users
liked who liked the shows you do.

But until you get a good database, TiVo basically guesses.  And mine
still does occasionally when I record something new.  It will seem to
latch onto that and try recording similar things.

you can turn them off, but I like to use them as a 'fuel gauge' to see
how much space I have left.  When all the suggestions are gone, I know
it's running low on space.

> 4) Is there a way to shut off "random" recording? I haven't had
>    a real problem yet, but a couple times TiVo would "announce"
>    that it wanted to change channels to record a show (one of it's
>    suggestions) while I was watching something else. Since I have
>    a cable box, it can only record what I watch.

Those are just the suggestions.  And, usually it's because you haven't
touched the remote in quite a while.  It thinks you've left, but it
puts up that screen to make sure it hasn't guessed wrong (which if you
are seeing it, it has :) ).

> 7) The ability to "network" TiVos is quite expensive - anyone use
>    it? By comparison, Replay can network out of the box (though
>    only wired connections are directly supported), controlling one
>    unit from another, streaming shows from one to another,and *I
>    think* I can copy shows from one box to another... TiVo wants
>    $50/box to enable this kind of sharing, and to enable that
>    option you need to be on a paid subscription...

Your documentation is out of date.  The 'Home Media Option' has become
the 'Home Media Features'.  All non-DirecTV TiVos get it now included
as part of the normal service.  Granted, you don't get them with TiVo
Basic...

--Kurt