[geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 12 13:26:17 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/07/12 Mon PM 04:58:44 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 04:56:02PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > What specific features (if you recall)? It seems very feature-rich to me,
> > you may have been looking at an older Replay box (I think they made a major
> > revision to the software about 6-9 months ago...
>
> I just remember a clunky interface, no equivalent to a TiVo "Season Pass",
> etc.  This was over a year ago (as it was before I got the DirecTiVo, and
> I've long since fulfilled my 12-month committment on it now..)

Well, the ability to record all episodes of a series is in Replay now, but I'm not sure (becuase I don't use it) if you can say "record all shows with Robin Williams" - I think there is some functionality like that, but not 100% sure how it compares to TiVo.

Replay boxes DO NOT come with any activation (you must subscribe to use them), TiVo bundles minimal activation...

The GUI/Interface is very nice, I consider the units functionally comprable... But I got my Replays during a pricing anomoly, they came with threee years activation, but were priced as if it wasn't included (Replay switched models, and the units still in the channel were in a grey area legally - the boxes said they included activation, but it shouldn't have been)...