[geeks] TiVo Observations (new owner)

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Jul 12 12:29:48 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 02:04:13PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Over the weekend I picked up a Toshiba TiVo using (TiVo with DVD player, model SD-H400) and have a few observations:
>
> 1) The user intrface is odd, but I only have the included "basic"
>    service - I don't like monthly/lifetime fees ;^) - I assume
>    the "traditional" subscription service is much better. (I have
>    3 days of program guide available for recording)

The pay-for service will give you 2 weeks worth of programming data.
>From what I remember, you don't get 'season passes' with the free
service, but I could be mistaken (probably am).

I've got a series 1 TiVo, originally bought a 15 hour unit for $299, had
a $100 rebate from TiVo and a $100 rebate from Circuit City.  Ran with
it at 15 hours for about a week (long enough for the replacement drives
to come in) and it's currently got a 30G and 60G drive in it for ~103
hours of 'basic' quality recording, but I record at 'medium' quality,
which gives me ~61 hours.  I've also got the second-gen ethernet
adapter, which lets me run a web server right on the TiVo and manage
recordings, pull video, etc.

> 2) What is up with those "TiVo Suggestions"? I found several odd
>    programs recorded (3 stooges, Kim Possible, Charlies Angels:
>    Full Throttle, etc.) are any of them "funded" by third-parties?
>    (Could I pay TiVo to recommend a show be taped?)

Like others have said, you can turn them off, but I prefer to leave
them on.  They get better the longer you have the system, just make
extensive use of the 'thumbs up' and 'thumbs down' rating system.  A
TiVo suggestion will never override one of your scheduled recordings and
TiVo suggestions will always 'expire' before your stuff, to make room
for more recordings.

<snip>

> 7) The ability to "network" TiVos is quite expensive - anyone use
>    it? By comparison, Replay can network out of the box (though
>    only wired connections are directly supported), controlling one
>    unit from another, streaming shows from one to another,and *I
>    think* I can copy shows from one box to another... TiVo wants
>    $50/box to enable this kind of sharing, and to enable that
>    option you need to be on a paid subscription...

The 'home media option' is built into the base subscription price for
Series 2 TiVos now.  I don't see anything about a $50/box 'setup' fee
on their website.  Like I said earlier, I don't have a series 2 unit,
so all I know is what I can find on the website.  From what it looks
like, sign up for the subscription (or pay the 'lifetime' rate), hook
your TiVo into your network, and after a few days, it will automatically
download the Home Media stuff.

> I bought the TiVo becuse the price was (I felt) right - $199 for an 80
> hour TiVo - and because I was annoyed with having to blow $30 for an
> <Marvin The Martian voice>RF Modulator</Marvin The Martian voice> to
> use a DVD player on an older TV with no component input, and with WiFi
> and TiVo, this unit was a cool toy ;^)

If I had the <odd todd voice>monay</odd todd voice>, I'd get the Pioneer
TiVo with DVD+/-R/RW built in.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org