[geeks] I'm glad I don't live in the US!

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Jul 11 14:21:48 CDT 2004

" From: The Renaissance Man <alaric at caerllewys.net>
"
" On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 07:11:45PM -0400, James wrote:
"
"
" > But it is time for a few new viable parties, or a complete flush and regime
" > change as the founding fathers thought healthy.
"
" I think it's been that time for a long time.  I also think the Americans
" of two hundred years ago would not have let it go nearly this far.

the stamp act of 1765 was in force for 10 years before the first shots
were fired in april 1775.  and they had the advantages of a huge
wilderness to disappear into and a govt that was weeks away in comlag
and had bigger fish to fry.

i agree with the appeal of regime change - but even though it's written
into the constitution the govt will still do everything they can get
away with to make you wish you'd never thought of it.

ever read machiavelli?  politicians are eternally the same - it's just
human nature.  okay, a human nature that's long on power jollies and
short on foresight/responsibility, but one that's always been with us.

the fault is our democratic system.  it's a beauty contest instead of
an entrance exam.  not that any other system ever tried is any better.
and who would set the standards?