[geeks] I'm glad I don't live in the US!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 07:50:06 CDT 2004

> From: Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net>
> Date: 2004/07/11 Sun AM 01:11:37 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] I'm glad I don't live in the US!

> unlike Mr. W. he doesn't say
> the following, "I don't care what the American people want."

There is nothing wrong with that statement, in certain contexts, and there are huge issues in other contexts - which one it was said in is a vitally important omission, IMHO.

Being President/running the counrty is not a popularity contest, I don't want a politician who bases every decision based on polling results (I am not accusing either candidate of doing that, BTW, but that seems to be the context of the Bush quote above) - the president should lead, not interpret poll results and act accordingly - we can write a simple Perl script to do that and save *hundreds* of millions of dollars by eliminating the presidential election process...

I can see the camaign now - "Vote for my algorithm - it favors the working class! My opponent's algorithm favors the rich!" ;^)