[geeks] its what you carry with you

The Renaissance Man alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Jul 7 15:02:43 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:58:53PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:14:45 -0400
> Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:20:58AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >
> > > That would *suck*.
> > >
> > > Now that I look into it, my employer seems to have a BRAND NEW "no
> > > weapons of any kind at any time" policy.  Which means my pocket
> > > knife is now in violation of company policy.  Hmmmm.  It could be
> > > Time To Move.
> >
> > So, what's their definition of a weapon?  Something someone can be
> > assulted with?  Better removed the smaller computers then.
>
> Never mind the fork and spoon on my desk, and the pencils, and probably
> the keyboard - given my attitude these days.

"There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous people."  Sgt.
Zim, _Starship Troopers_, Robert Anson Heinlein.

A lesson which, sadly, most of our politicians haven't forgotten only
because they never knew it in the first place.  Personal weapons do not
enable the commission of mayhem; they facilitate the commission of
mayhem in an appropriate and discriminating manner, and their lack does
not prevent the intended committer of mayhem from doing so -- it merely
tends to have the effect of causing him to utilize more indiscriminate
means.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net