[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 1 16:12:20 CDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Jochen Kunz wrote:

>> b) never trust your data to software raid (ew)
> If you have a hardware RAID, make sure you have a spare RAID controler
> in a drawer. If you have not, your RAID controler will fail and you
> can't get a new one that is compatible to the old to recover your data.

And also make sure that the NVRAM is backed up somewhere so that you can
plop your array metadata into the new controller.  Most decent
controllers offer software that will allow you to dump the configuration
to a file and load the configuration from that file.  That, combined
with a little bit of hardware swapping each time you change the config
will save you a -lot- of headache when some moron trashes your RAID
controller for you.

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of