[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Thu Jul 1 10:35:04 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 09:37, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> It would be nice to see someone rank brands of CD-Rs.  I wouldn't mind
> paying $0.50-$1 per disk for disks I could expect to last awhile.

What I've heard is that CD-Rs with Taiyo-Yuden dye is the best. TY is a
particular manufacturer of the dye used on the writable side of CD-Rs. I
think some brands used to do 30%/70% Taiyo-Yuden/Brand-X dye (Memorex,
for example), although I haven't seen that happen recently. Brands that
use all TY dye are FujiFilm and Verbatim DataLifePlus discs. Under
normal circumstances, I only buy these.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong :)