[geeks] Commiserate with me ... this sucks.

bitrot bitrot at cat5.be
Thu Jul 1 02:40:22 CDT 2004

mrl wrote:

>So I come home today and am excited to find that my framebuffers have
>arrived. I start messing around with them, trying to install them (fscking
>UPA slots are way too difficult to figure out the first time) and started
>some music on another computer. A few songs down the line, playing stops
>for no apparent reason. I go over, and nothing is responding... X
>eventually totally locks up. Argh.
>
>So I switch to a console, and I see very bad messages regarding reiserfs
>and md0. Long story short, I have to hard reboot, and /home (which is a
>software RAID5 array of 4 80GB drives) doesn't come up. I eventually
>figure out that two of my RAID disks are dead. Why I didn't notice the
>first one going is entirely my fault, although it definitely shouldn't
>have happened, since I got all of those disks within the past few months!
>
>Things I'm going to miss the most: chatlogs (the worst loss), my long list
>of quotes & jokes, passwords (probably not a big deal.. I think I can
>remember most of these), and rare software & docs (NeXT and Apple stuff,
>source code for old stuff, random UNIXes for which I have no hardware
>(yet), etc.). Fortunately, I recently moved my mail to IMAP on my server,
>so none of that is lost.
>
>This is why they tell you to do backups even though you have RAID.
><sigh>... if only I had the money. (Although this next time, I guess I'll
>be trying harder. Meh.)
>
>Off to cry myself to sleep... :(

I would hazard a guess that you used  STANDARD IDE DISKS?

a) never trust your data to IDE DISKS (unless you have hardware raid and
autohotswap)
b) never trust your data to software raid (ew)

heh frank i can see a storm comming...

ducks.

dangerous content by MailScanner software run
by SILIQ Limited, and is believed to be clean.