[geeks] more E3K pictures

Mark G. Thomas Mark at misty.com
Sat Jan 31 11:53:08 CST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:28:55AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:07:56PM +1100, Scott Howard wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 03:13:14PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > > http://www.sunhelp.org/e3k/unpacked/
> > Hmm.. no second PPS, but other than that a pretty sweet machine :)
> >   Scott.
>
> I can probably get a second PPS if I feel like it for next to nothing
> from them... I may replace the 10x9G with a couple of 18G anyway.
>
> Bill

Those are SCSI on an E3k, right?

I recently scored an E3500 which a friend rescued from a dumpster, and
am looking for some 9G or 18G FC drives, if not too expensive.

Also, a few of the heatsinks on the system boards and CPUs of mine appear to
have broken off in transit.  The little plastic clips that hold them onto the
chips appear to have fragile ridges that break easily.  Is there such a thing
as epoxy heat sink compound, or should I use high temperature epoxy around the
edges and conventional heatsink compound in the center of the chips where they
are actually in contact with the heatsink?  Newer modules appear to have
slighly differently designly heatsinks epoxied or glued in place, so maybe
this is (or was) a common problem.

Temporarily, I raped the clips off one of the system boards, but I really
want to get all 8 CPUs on line.  :-)

-Mark

mark at marvin% psrinfo -v
Status of virtual processor 6 as of: 01/31/2004 12:46:44
  on-line since 01/26/2004 22:32:14.
  The sparcv9 processor operates at 336 MHz,
        and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 7 as of: 01/31/2004 12:46:44
  on-line since 01/26/2004 22:32:18.
  The sparcv9 processor operates at 336 MHz,
        and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 10 as of: 01/31/2004 12:46:44
  on-line since 01/26/2004 22:32:18.
  The sparcv9 processor operates at 336 MHz,
        and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 11 as of: 01/31/2004 12:46:44
  on-line since 01/26/2004 22:32:18.
  The sparcv9 processor operates at 336 MHz,
        and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 14 as of: 01/31/2004 12:46:44
  on-line since 01/26/2004 22:32:18.
  The sparcv9 processor operates at 336 MHz,
        and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 15 as of: 01/31/2004 12:46:44

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
voice: 215-591-3695