[geeks] Filling a gap for the Sidekick...

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 11:53:18 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:20:34 -0800, Nadine Miller wrote:
> I used a friend's Sharp Zaurus running Linux the
> other night, so now I'm debating on it vs. the
> Clie.  If anyone has used the Zaurus I'd welcome
> more technical opinions.

I've been using one since the SL5000D came out, and within the last
month upgraded to the C860. The SL5000D seems to last fine ... the slide
out keyboard still works ok (some were concerned how it would last
initially) and the only signs of my SL's hard life is wearing down of
the silverish case at the corners.

Software-wise, the early Sharp PIM stuff was a bit rough around the
edges but that seems to have been sorted out with the latest ROMs. I've
spent more time using OpenZaurus which is also a little rough.

The terminal for the SL is ok given the limitations of the screen (and
keyboard), but I tended to avoid using it for extended periods of time.
The C860 keyboard/screen is a whole different matter; although smaller
it's probably easier on the eyes than the first real terminal I used.

If you want a rock solid PDA without hassle, then the Zaurus probably
isn't suitable. But it's certainly just right for someone who wants a
hand-held Unix machine that'll work as a PDA. It might be worth epaying
for an old one just to get used to it and see if it suits you. Esp. as a
replacement for the SL5600 is due shortly that will have builtin wifi or
builtin bluetooth.