[geeks] SharkRack prices

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jan 26 14:26:05 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> STOR-R19-H		A5K rack kit	1	$3,450		$2,311

That's surprising.

> E3000-R19-H		E3K rack kit	1	$6,500		$4,355

That's not.

> Wow.  The rackmount kit would cost more than the *machine* (used).

That's because the E3x00 systems were never designed to live in a rack,
and don't cool in a way that is conducive to being put in a rack.  I'd
imagine that a lof of that price went into stress testing.

> Looks like I'm going with the "plain sub-$100 shelf" option, and
> taking off the wheels.

Just make sure the bottom of the system is well above the bottom frame
of the rack, or that there's an preforated tile directly between the
rails of the rack.  E3ks cool -upwards-.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and