[geeks] PowerBook G4 - what is 'hot'

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jan 26 11:25:52 CST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> PowerBook G4 Question - what is 'too hot'?

A friend of mine has a Powerbook G4.  Its hostname is (scorch".  I
didn't understand why until I got one.

If it's warm enough to leave red marks on your knees, that's about
normal for running the CPU flat-out with a charger plugged in.

> I got used to this level of warmth from my old Dell laptop ... Is this
> normal for a PowerBook?

No, but it's normal for a Powerbook G4. :(

My Pismo (G3/400) was a box I could run full-bore on my bed (not even on
a table) with the charger plugged in, and the CPU heatsink would just
barely be warm.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and