[geeks] This Litle Green Monster...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jan 23 08:46:34 CST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 03:43:11PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 08:51:28AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > I too hope to eventually get my Octane to draw that much or hopefully
> > more.
> Well. My 500 MHz Alpha gave me comparable specs (OK, only one GFX and
> "only" 640 MB RAM) for 1/3 of the power consumption.

Yeah, but an Alpha just isn't the same as an Octane.  I certainly
wouldn't mind an Alpha, but I'm unlikely to try to use an Alpha as a
workstation at this point in my life.

For one thing, is there even any officially supported way, on any OS, by
any vendor, to get SDI video in and out?  I know that if I chose to run
NT 3.51 or 4 (ick) that I could get a Perception board for an Alpha, but
that wouldn't really be the same since it'd be windows instead of a nice
unix.