[geeks] GarageBand test

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jan 19 11:29:26 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:09:28AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:31:10AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > It seems to me that if Apple sells you a guitar adapter that blow up
> > your Apple computer, then it should be a waranty issue.  Not that you
> > want the hassle.
>
> Its not an Apple adapter, its a Monster Cable 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

Yes, but it is being sold be Apple.  If Apple is selling it, there is an
implication (and I believe this is supported by the courts) that it is
suitable for the advertised purpose.

> > As to the speakers you blew up, how did you do it?  Did you just plug it
> > in and play, or did you turn the volume all the way day, and just slowly
> > bring it up?  I've plugged my guitar into consumer stereo gear before,
> > and I've just had to keep the volume knob really low because of how hot
> > the signal was (relative to what the consumer stereo expected).
>
> I was stupid, and plugged it into a line-in input (where the stereo was
> expecting an amplified signal) instead of a microphone (unpowered) input,
> then turned it up. 8-)

That's what I did.  Guitar into the line-input, then turn the volume up
slowly.   Might not be advised, but it worked for me.