[geeks] tailing maillog

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 12:23:18 CST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:49:21 -0500, James wrote:
> tailing maillog is fun (for a geek). I've never had the time before to

Not if it rolls by faster than I can read it. I've written an 'orrible
perl script to summarise it which is currently grinding through a year's
worth of logs. In hacking mode, it prints out every log line that isn't
understood which was definitely one of my better ideas.

> really read all that goes on in maillog. I need to read up on some of
> the details. I find it interesting that internal relays (like on
> rfc1918 addresses) are shown. There should be some way to mask that
> for security(I'm sure there is a way, just not familiar with how).

I'm not sure masking addresses is a wise move ... *you* need to know
those addresses. For instance (stealing an idea) to find out when your
boss has turned off his virus protection. And logs should be kept pretty
private anyway.