[geeks] How did you spend YOUR weekend?

James james at jdfogg.com
Sun Jan 11 22:24:57 CST 2004

> I spent mine (both days, 10+ hours each day) redoing our main network
> "closet" in preparation for an IP telephony rollout this coming
> Wednesday.
>
> Pictures: http://www.mrbill.net/mdf/

I always have a personal debate about the benefits of tight wire looms
versus loose routing of cabling. Big loom loops and cables randomly laid
into the looms makes changes easier, especially when its time to pull
something out. Tight/structured cabling makes changes more difficult.

Tight: Neater, more structured, keeps newbies and users from even daring to
MAC cabling (move/add/change).
Loose: easier to trace, easier to MAC, allows random placement of hardware,
easier to turn into a tangled ball if attacked by newbies/users.