[geeks] Itanium 32 bit performace.... hahahaha

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jan 5 23:07:05 CST 2004

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 @ 07:42 -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez said:

> Actuallly the 3rd Itanium iteration, the one after McKinley has a lot of
> Alpha technology in it.

Unfortunately almost none of the good parts.

Itanic is a mess, and I don't think it will ever be a CPU that people
"like", especially not programmers.

The technology used was something people thought was necessary 15 years
ago.  In the meantime we have knocked down the hurdles that the Itanium
project was supposedly created for.

I'm just not sure it is worth it.

Intel will never admit this of course, just as they still refuse to
acknowledge that x86 is a register starved mess.

Think of how talented some of the Intel people are, and what they could
do if allowed to create something really great.

> > Run that crap under emulation until either M$ gets a clue and
> > makes portable software, or they simply cease to matter any
> > longer.
>
> It is a tough argument to sell if you want to force 90%+ of the software
> out there to run in emulation mode. Why?

Why not?

The average Joe isn't going to notice if its done right.

Also, 90% of what software?  Windows stuff?  The stuff where 99% of it
is crap?

Most usable Windows software makes up a fairly small set.

The vast array of Windows compatible crud is largely redundant and not
very good.

In any case, I mostly just want it to happen, and I really think it
needs to.  I don't contentest that it would cause pain.