[geeks] OT: bang, bang, bang...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jan 5 23:17:21 CST 2004

I would have put this on the guns list, but I can't figure out if it
is alive or not.  It seems dead.  I posted a message but it never got
there.

Or are cannons too big for the guns list?

Fri, 19 Dec 2003 @ 23:08 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 08:09:47PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > They paint a lot of the cannons with a heavy, light green colored paint.
> > I never have figured that out.  From what I have seen of old paintings,
> > they were not pained green back in the day.
>
> Oh yeah, seen that too.  We stripped almost a half-inch of accumulated
> paint off Goliath.

Do you know what it is for?

I checked my archives I have several decent pictures of the cannons at
the Yorktown battlefield.  There are some painted black, but quite a few
are green.  I also found one limbered, which I didn't think they had any
examples of.

I note too that they seem to layer paint on them instead of cleaning
them good and using thinner layers.

It would be nice if they would pick a few for better maintenance and try
to avoid the paint.  Surely there is something they could use that would
look better.

> It doesn't have to be marked *conspicuously*, after all ...

Right.

Oh, one of my photos shows the date on a motar as 1681.  The rangers say
it is an original.  I wish I knew how to tell.

> > There are *tons* of deer on the battlefield there.  All that venison,
> > and you can't have it.  The furry bastards know it too.
>
> Heh.  The vultures that roost in the trees overlooking the Fresno
> battlefield add an interesting tough of color.  ;)

Yeah, but you can't eat vultures, so that wouldn't bother me... :)

Oh, you should see the deer react to the cannon fire.  They either
freeze solid, or move faster than their fur.

Their ears twitch for several minutes.  I think what happens is the
activity makes them curious so their ears are pointed toward the event.
When the cannon goes off, it probably gives them quite an auditory
overload.