[geeks] WTF - Linux on a laptop...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Feb 27 09:12:36 CST 2004

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 @ 09:30 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> True, but the downside of that is, at the moment Firefox 0.8 appears to
> be very usable on Windows but not ready for prime time on Linux.  On my

I've found that too.

It also frequently fails to load pages or images, requiring multiple
page reloads at times.  Sometimes when a bit of text or an image is up
you want to save it will not respond to a "save as" on either page or
image until you reload, perhaps several times.

Also, Firebird/Firefox goes well over 50MB of RAM on my system, and at
times has hit nearly 80MB.

*ALL* of the browsers eat way too much memory. There is no way this is
necessary.  I dont' know if it is the engine or the toolkits used, but
something is leaking, badly, or just poorly written.

Has anyone noticed that you can no longer specify a limit on RAM cache?
You can only say how big the disk cache is now.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall