[geeks] a sad farewell

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Feb 20 22:40:06 CST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Today I re-enacted the ending of Old Yeller when I had to
> > shut down my beloved Sun-Fire E4800 with 8 UltraSPARC-III+
> > cpus @1200MHz and its 16 gigs of ram.  SunMoves is taking it
> > away Monday where I can only hope its new owners will cherish
> > it as I did.  Alas, I wasn't able to rescue it for myself.  :)
>
> Leased server, or did $WORK sell it?

Worse, they're outsourcing our data center to $PARENT_COMPANY.
Somehow they believe that by moving the servers a thousand
miles away they'll 1) get better application performance by
accessing them over a telco line with Citrix (the users are still
on this end) and 2) get better support from people who don't
actually work for them.

Why, yes, the guy who proposed it WAS wearing a suit.  Why do you ask?

They'll be pulling an Old Yeller on me in a month or so.

-DanD

# The difference between the right word and a similar word is the difference
# between lightning and a lightning bug.   --Mark Twain