[geeks] high-dollar surge supressors

James james at jdfogg.com
Fri Feb 20 20:28:18 CST 2004

> What do y'all think of these?
>
> http://www.brickwall.com/
>
> Worth $200?  I'm considering one for my computer equipment and one for the
> "new" (well, five month old) 51" tv/tivo.

I can't say if they are worth $200, it depends on what they are protecting
and if anyone makes a similar design cheaper. In the "how it works" section
it makes sense to me on paper but it all comes down to execution. Are the
components of high quality? I guess in the sealed box we'll never know.

If you look around you will find used ferroresonant transformers and they
absolutely work as expected, if you don't mind the heat, noise and
additional power consumption. They also solve the problem of brownouts but
are rather expensive new.