[geeks] USB > DB9 converter recomendation

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Feb 20 14:16:31 CST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> I need to purchase a few USB > DB9 converters - primary use will be to
> allow my work group (20% of whom are now equipped with PowerBook G4s)
> to connect to the serial/console port on our Sun servers.
>
> Secondary use will be to flaunt how cool and groovy the PowerBook is
> when we have to do trouble calls in the server room (grin).
>
> Recommendations?

How about a terminal server?  I use a couple of DECServer 90TL's
and just telnet to the appropriate TCP port of the terminal server
to hit the console I want or run conserver (www.conserver.com)
if I want to log all the output on the ports.  Conserver lets
me attach in read-only or read-write mode.

I think this even meets the secondary requirement because you
can be way cooler sitting at your desk with a cup of coffee
and some tunes than freezing in the server room where you
aren't allowed to have coffee and couldn't hear your tunes.

-DanD

# My other car is a Klingon Bird of Prey
#