[geeks] holy shit, snow

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Feb 19 22:40:06 CST 2004

> I drive a '95 Grand Cherokee with full-time 4x4 and have only had problems
> when everything (ie roads, sidewalks, lawns, trees) is coated in ice. Of
> course, I tend to drive sanely in bad conditions - reduce speed, turn off
> overdrive on the auto transmission when visibility is bad or to engine
> brake, drop to 2nd manually on hills if needed, etc.
>
> My main concern is other vehicles on the road losing control around me -
> even in Canada, a disturbing number of drivers don't understand driving in
> snow and ice (or rain, or fog, or ...).
>
> Bryan

That's my point, driving sanely.  Unfortunately, most SUV drivers in this area
seem to use their vehicle to correct some testosterone deficiency rather than
traverse bad roads.  I still remember the time I was waiting behind a Suburban
for a light change on an icy road.  We got the green and the Suburban just
spun its wheels.  I went around it easily, did the Neon commercial "Beep, beep,
....Hi!" routine and continued on to work.  I still can't understand how that
driver couldn't move.  Ok, there was about a 5 degree slope away from the light
but really.......
Bob