[geeks] Solaris on x86 (was Fedora funky-ness...)

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Thu Feb 19 11:57:59 CST 2004

Scott Howard wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 05:19:01PM -0500, Francois Dion wrote:
>

>>Works excellent as a
>>jumpstart machine (as long as you have the media on DVD - as of 12/03 it
>>looks like no boot image is on the CD variant).
>>

>It's still there, it's just on slice 1 as a UFS filesystem. As you can't
>read SPARC UFS on x86, you can't access it from an x86 machine. The only
>solution it to setup the jumpstart directory on a SPARC box, and then
>just copy it over to the notebook.
>
>  Scott

Actually I was talking about Sol 9 x86 12/03 cds. For the Sol 9 sparc, I
can mount the cds on one of my sparc machine, export and mount it on the
laptop. Works fine that way. Sun is saying that 4/04 will have a boot
image. I think they ran out of space on 12/03. I  dont know of a
workaround for the x86. Have you found a way?

Francois