[geeks] Solaris on x86 (was Fedora funky-ness...)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 15:09:17 CST 2004

> From: Francois Dion <fdion at atriumwindows.com>
> Date: 2004/02/17 Tue PM 05:56:24 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [geeks] Solaris on x86 (was  Fedora funky-ness...)
>
> If you have one of these:
>
>     * Linksys Instant Wireless PC Card, Model WPC11
>     * Netgear 802.11b Wireless PC Card, Model MA401
>     * Orinoco PC Card Silver
>
> Lynnsoft has a driver (altough it cost $):
> http://www.lynnsoft.com/solaris.htm

That is GREAT NEWS! I will try this absolutely ASAP.

Ouch - $100... Oh well, it is a noble effort, and should be rewarded... BTW, they include SPARC platform wireless options for Solaris 8, again $100...

I will also try and run the Hardware Certification Suite from Sun on that laptop (it takes up to a week to complete!) and enter the results into Sun before I shed that laptop.

I just got a new Linux laptop (to displace my Tecra 8000s), can't wait to get home and set it up (it's BLUE! ;^)... Actually, I got a Toshiba Satellite A35-S159 laptop (P4 Mobile 2.3 GHz, 512 Meg RAM, 60 Gig HD, 15" XGA TFT, DVD/CD-RW, and 802.11g built-in for $849 (after rebates). I want a quick, cheap laptop for linux/wireless around the house (with built-in wireless), and while the Tecra's are nice "old school" laptops, they "only have" 256 Meg RAM, and a PII is not considered "speedy" any more...

Besides, it's BLUE! ;^)

I was looking at ordering a laptop from Dell, but to buy their cheapest laptop (currently $699), then add RAM, up the HD, and get an 802.11 card, you are damn near $850, plus to get blue covers is an extra $39 :^(