[geeks] M$ Ad humor...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Feb 16 16:48:32 CST 2004

On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 15:11, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
>> Oh, my aching head.  This is why I don't pick up any of those PC
>> magazines, ever, and I stay away from those crappy IT trade rags
>> entirely.  It just makes me angry every time I pick one up and see
>> that
>> kind of bull.
>
> It's an ad, not an article - don't blame the editors/writers for this
> silliness...
>
> I'm sure the same ad will appear in "IT Decision Maker" publications
> (ComputerWorld, etc.)...

I blame the editors for everything - nothing goes into a publication
without their approval, and if they can't be bothered to check the ads
to ensure some amount of sanity, then they're to blame.  For instance,
Smith And Wesson once ran an add in Motorcycle Tour And Cruiser - which
created a big flap with the antis who wrote and emailed.  The editor
publicly apologized, and promised not to run any more gun ads, because
they were all very much anti-gun.  Which caused another huge flap when
all the gun owners wrote and emailed.  The editor publicly apologized,
and promised not to say anything like that again, because guns aren't
so bad after all, and hey, even people on the staff own guns, and so
on....

But, I digress.  The fact is, the editors are responsible for every
pound of crap in their magazines.

Frankly, all of this IT rags aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
  My opinion of all of them is *very* low.  I mean, do we really trust
magazines that rely on advertising dollars as their sole method of
income, to provide an impartial review of *any* product?  The schlock
that's printed in those mags is pure trash, half of it is taken
verbatim from company press releases anyway.

And, as an aside, why is it that the local supermarket stopped carrying
MacAddict which they sold clean out of every month, but carry 5
different PC magazines which end up sitting on the shelf for two
months?  Sometimes I wonder about the magazines distributors....

--
Kurt Huhn
kurt at k-huhn.com