[geeks] M$ Ad humor...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 16 15:52:57 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 16:16, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:32:39 +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > So, since these are two comprable CPUs, and since the surrounding
> > hardware and onter considerations are the same,
>
> You can cripple an IBM mainframe that much ?

The Mainframe cost about $750,000, while the PC was about $50,000 (after
15% discount, and deducting 2 $7,000 Xeon processors on the DL 760 4 CPU
system they used). The Mainframe had 1.2 Terabytes of storage, while the
PC had 648 Gigs of SCSI HDs...

> >  - z900 was not designed (AFAIK) as a file server duty
>
> Well ... mainframes are designed to do i/o, and file serving is pretty
> much pure i/o (the file server people in my office figure that if a
> server is above 50% utilisation on the CPU, Something Is Wrong).

I've never heard of a mainframe deployed to mainly serve files, except,
of course, to other mainframes. ;^)

> > Also, in the same magazine, there is an MS ad for "Smart Watches" -
>
> Labelled "Suunto" ?

No - MSN Direct - they are selling the concept, not an actual product.
IIRC, Fossil is selling compatible watches...

--
======
Lionel